Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

Journal 40B MTS Nature Aquarium

Cleaned the tank over the past few days and removed some plants. Couldn’t stand the hygro I had anymore, either a form of siamensis or Salicifolia. Not sure exactly, but it was just too much for the look I was going for where the plant I actually ordered, 53b, would have worked nicely. I decided to give Hygro Parawitota a try since it looks so nice in @FrankZ tank, and I also ordered some kompact. It’ll be a transition from the parawitota, to the blyxa and moss covered stone. Eustrelis Stellata was also added between the hygro and my Ludwigia Rubin, looking forward to it taking off. You’ll notice a random lotus bulb, I got that in my order as a freebie. Not sure if I’m going to keep it or not, I’m considering pitching the rotala in the center and replacing it with the bulb. If I can keep the leaves trimmed I think I can get a nice bush that won’t over grow the surrounding plants, idk. I’ve also added some buce to the driftwood, never had luck in the past with buce but since this tank has been trucking along for a good while now I’m hoping they take hole and don’t melt.

I did try APT Fixlite on my affected anubias leaves, and it worked! A few days later the small spores of BBA /staghorn had substantially been reduced. I will continue to spot does if necessary, as many of the leaves are in a high flow location so it may just be an uphilll battle to keep them algae free, we’ll see.80AC46E0-3DC1-4F85-A13E-5399657FFDD8.webp247FB496-7465-42FF-AD7C-4CFB464B07F9.webpD8A8E03B-07CC-4A1D-9806-04C733CCCA30.webp4EF7B891-F730-4FE1-A4FC-D45FDBB37FAE.webp0405F582-4E31-46B4-AD6F-8E7A6AEBEF45.webp6D2C6F75-977F-4102-A832-DADE61D3888E.webp
 
Thank you! I’m happy to inspire and humbled, MTS for that one as well?
For now it’s going to say a mishmash of old eco-complete and gravel. My MTS bin got rain water in it and froze 🤦🏻

I’ll post a picture of the tank here tomorrow when the lights are back on
 
89483851-ABC4-4C24-B015-FB6DB1F95FC5.jpeg
Reds are looking nice, still deciding if I want to keep the rotala in there as it can’t decide if it wants to grow normal or stunt, and it’s just too weedy IMO. I think I may keep nymphae bulb because it keeps putting out leaves and it’s looking nice. I’m getting an outbreak of thread algae that I think may be from the large uprooting I recently did and introducing a large amount of emersed growth that now needs to convert to submerged 😪

Still, looking much better than it did with the previous hygro. Also I think I’m done with buce, despite my best efforts it just wants to melt and I’m tired of paying out my butt for something that doesn’t last. Win some lose some.
 
Hey all, been a while since I’ve updated. I did a bit of rescape with the stems last night and a good clean of the hardscape and sand. Unfortunately in the process I lost 3 rainbows 😣 I think it was an O2 issue.

Plants wise, the order I placed to DFT was almost a complete bust. All my Hygrophila parawitota melted away, and the kompact almost did the same but managed to bounce back. The Eustrelis made a comeback as well and is starting to take off. The lotus bulb I receive complimentary has been moved to the right side behind the smaller piece of driftwood. I recently picked up Hygrophila Triflora from @Odyseagardens and am excited to see that grow. I’ve also added more buce because I’m determined to make it work, idk why I’ve struggled with it previously.
 
Whelp, @FrankZ reminded me that the journal is not just about the good stuff. Doing a much needed maintenance session today, the tank is not in its best shape currently due to neglect. Life and crap lol. Doing a trim and clean of the stem planting area.image.webp
 
Man that moss is looking good. I could never master the trimming necessary to get a nice shape. Just ended up being an algae tumble weed. Looks like I saw some Buce catherine? Still hanging in there?
This particular moss is pretty easy IMO. It grows THICK and won’t choke out the lower portion either, and it attaches to hardscape pretty quickly. It’s found it’s way attaching to my driftwood and forming an appealing blanket as well.

Yeah still have the buce, I’m trying to be patient and let it recover and start new growth.
 

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top