Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

Aquasoil vs BDBS (Inert Blasting Sand) Cost

Naturescapes_Rocco 15

Rocco
Supporting
I Donated 2026
Rockstar
Article Contributor
Journal
Joined
Dec 19, 2024
Messages
1,233
Reaction score
3,406
Location
Denver, Colorado, USA
Just wanted to share this info,

I'm looking to get my new 120C tank setup (120x60x50cm), and for a moment I thought "Why not? Why shouldn't I go back to using aquasoil?".

To reach an aquasoil depth of ~3" across the entire tank (pretty thin for aquasoil), the cost would be about $420 at the standard $7-per-Liter of aquasoil (most brands charge this value, some more!).

On the other end of the spectrum, it would cost about $24 to get a depth of 4" with BDBS (inert blasting sand, the substrate I've been trying in my tanks for the last two years) from my local supplier.

I think I'll be putting that other $400 towards something else! 😄
 
Ah! I prefer just BDBS , honestly. Especially for how much I uproot, replant, experiment, etc.

I've kept my Experiment tank running with the same reusable sand substrate for almost 2 years because I can just rough up the sand, do a water change to remove the detritus, and it's good to plant again. Over and over again, nothing changes! So nothing against aquasoil or rich substrates underneath for others, but I think I like just inert, never-changing substrate for my style of scaping. Plus, no big explosion of soil/detritus when I uproot a plant has been awesome.
 
Last edited:
I played around with aquasoil once and was rather unimpressed with it.

Just rather underwhelmed with the limited performance advantage it provided over WC ferts with BDBS …

I have injected boluses of aquasoil around the base of Pink Flamingo Crypts and did notice some improvement there, but nothing earth shattering.

If I ever decide to do a planted tank rather light on plants and heavy on hardscape, I would consider it again to try nitrate limiting the water column to minimize algae formation on the hardscape, but I have serious doubts if I could exercise the control to avoid filling all of that negative space….
 
Ok, so I'm not crazy. Since I came back to the hobby, every aquascaping tutorial is all about the aquasoil. My 150 almost bankrupted me, and the soil isn't even that deep 😂 I keep saying it was so much easier way back in the last millenium with just basic, boring, fine inert gravel. That's really all we had. I used the same substrate in that tank for seven years. It is part of why I purchased the black lava soil for the 60F. It's not that soils are bad, but if you're looking to keep a tank for more than 8 months I'm not sure it really makes that much sense. Besides, you can buy some lovely plants with that 'extra' $400 you're saving!

I do have one question. Do you have to be concerned with compaction with BDBS if the layer is too deep, or is the grain size large enough that it is not a concern?
 
I do have one question. Do you have to be concerned with compaction with BDBS if the layer is too deep, or is the grain size large enough that it is not a concern?
I'm about to find this out. I've got a 3 to just over 4 inch layer of the medium grain BDBS. There's a number of very experienced people here using it with beautiful results so I'm confident it will be alright.
 
Ok, so I'm not crazy. Since I came back to the hobby, every aquascaping tutorial is all about the aquasoil. My 150 almost bankrupted me, and the soil isn't even that deep 😂 I keep saying it was so much easier way back in the last millenium with just basic, boring, fine inert gravel. That's really all we had. I used the same substrate in that tank for seven years. It is part of why I purchased the black lava soil for the 60F. It's not that soils are bad, but if you're looking to keep a tank for more than 8 months I'm not sure it really makes that much sense. Besides, you can buy some lovely plants with that 'extra' $400 you're saving!

I do have one question. Do you have to be concerned with compaction with BDBS if the layer is too deep, or is the grain size large enough that it is not a concern?
I've never had a problem. But I do weekly uprooting and replanting.
 
Ok, so I'm not crazy. Since I came back to the hobby, every aquascaping tutorial is all about the aquasoil. My 150 almost bankrupted me, and the soil isn't even that deep 😂 I keep saying it was so much easier way back in the last millenium with just basic, boring, fine inert gravel. That's really all we had. I used the same substrate in that tank for seven years. It is part of why I purchased the black lava soil for the 60F. It's not that soils are bad, but if you're looking to keep a tank for more than 8 months I'm not sure it really makes that much sense. Besides, you can buy some lovely plants with that 'extra' $400 you're saving!

I do have one question. Do you have to be concerned with compaction with BDBS if the layer is too deep, or is the grain size large enough that it is not a concern?
I've run a few tanks now with 4-5" of BDBS at the deepest sections, no problems at all
 
I agree that the cost of aquasoil in the states is kinda ridiculous. Better to spend $$$ else where

But there is a reason the landscape out there is that way that it is:
In the states you guys have big houses, cheap large tanks but expensive aquasoil (as all aquasoils are produced far away and shipped there).
In most of modern asia and Europe, houses are smaller, tanks are much smaller and aquasoil is cheaper, so folks spend less on relative cost on the substrate. The most common tank sizes in most asia cities is 2 and 3ft. Even on company's budget and real estate, the largest planted tank I've own is only a 65 gallon, and I'm very well funded for where I am. I've only worked on larger tanks in commercial/zoos spaces.

On a relative cost basis, folks here complain about the costs of light and CO2 where planted aquariums are concerned. I.e. to replicate the 2ft tank below, the lights and CO2 stuff would cost around 700? while the substrate would just just 40 or 60 dollars.

2hrAquaristDSCF3900E.webp
 
I agree that the cost of aquasoil in the states is kinda ridiculous. Better to spend $$$ else where

But there is a reason the landscape out there is that way that it is:
In the states you guys have big houses, cheap large tanks but expensive aquasoil (as all aquasoils are produced far away and shipped there).
In most of modern asia and Europe, houses are smaller, tanks are much smaller and aquasoil is cheaper, so folks spend less on relative cost on the substrate. The most common tank sizes in most asia cities is 2 and 3ft. Even on company's budget and real estate, the largest planted tank I've own is only a 65 gallon, and I'm very well funded for where I am. I've only worked on larger tanks in commercial/zoos spaces.

On a relative cost basis, folks here complain about the costs of light and CO2 where planted aquariums are concerned. I.e. to replicate the 2ft tank below, the lights and CO2 stuff would cost around 700? while the substrate would just just 40 or 60 dollars.

View attachment 18502
Well said. Definitely not a perspective I thought about. What does a 20lb tank cost to fill in your area? I'm mad, the gas company just raised prices from 29 dollars to 39 dollars on food grade CO2.
 
Well said. Definitely not a perspective I thought about. What does a 20lb tank cost to fill in your area? I'm mad, the gas company just raised prices from 29 dollars to 39 dollars on food grade CO2.
From what I understand, cost of CO2 gas everywhere is pretty low, but the service to get it topped up can be high depending on what type of customer you are.

For example, to refill a one Kg cylinder, the fixed handling cost maybe $18 + say $2 of cost of CO2 = $20.
virtually all of the money is in the servicing fee, not cost of CO2.
To refill a 10kg cylinder, using same example, will be $18 + $20 = $38
1784032125257.webp


In Singapore, I've changed to using a bunch (5? 6?) of 10kg cylinders, I will exhaust them all before refilling all of them together once every couple of years. I pay the gas company to collect all of them at one go (costing around 30 dollars), who will then top up and refill and deliver them back to the office the next day or so. I find that doing it this way minimizes my cost, and I don't have to transport cylinders myself. The fee is something like $30 delivery/collection fee, then another 20+? dollars per cylinder.
 

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top