- Thread starter
- #261
Kwyet 452
After every new tank—“This is my last one!”
You’ll be the first to know!If you ever have plantlets I'll buy them, it's a beautiful plant!
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
You’ll be the first to know!If you ever have plantlets I'll buy them, it's a beautiful plant!
Beautiful tank, and I agree that sword is beautiful!I think it’s a Reni, but it’s possible it’s a Red Rubin. I almost used it last year, but it got algae and I over trimmed it, so it was growing out in the 125 and then briefly in the 140. I’m afraid I don’t remember where it came from. The inner leaves get that deep red color and turn dark green as they age.
Thanks! It’s about half the size of the known Red Rubin that I have, but maybe it just hasn’t grown out as much yet. It’s 10 inches tall.Beautiful tank, and I agree that sword is beautiful!
It has the colours of a reni, but it is far bigger than the reni I have had, which stays at about half that size.


Thanks for the input! The little round ball is Lysomachia nummularia aurea. The hygrophila behind the sword actually grows very fast and usually reaches to the surface. I cut it way back just a few days ago. I could shift it a bit as well. I’ll keep your suggestions in mind as I keep developing it.I was playing where's waldo trying to spot the feather duster
I finally had to take the hint and think "what would be symmetrical to the sword?"
I'm going to butcher the species because I don't know what you have but here are a few thoughts:
Otherwise I think you're on the right track!
- The large leaves plants (the sword and aponogeton) are blocking the groups behind them pretty heavily.
- The crypts and whatever the little round ball is on the left are too small. You need a bigger group there, and probably only one of those
- That myrio roraima is great. I don't have the patience for plants that grow that fast
- The acmella repens is a little awkward- is that a street? It seems too skinny and also kinda goes straight back, I find myself wishing it had a bit of a curve
- Is that lobelia cardinalis is in the back right? It's probably not gonna get the size you're looking for. Could be worth replacing soon instead of hoping it fills in the space.
So there's a snake...and a turkey?Found the turkey! He had only made it as far as the bedroom closet. Thank goodness!
He’s a rare species, lol!So there's a snake...and a turkey?![]()
SnarkeyHe’s a rare species, lol!
It's just practice. Good luck with your submission. I won't be entering this year.I did the final trimming and shaping today, leaving a little space for the plants to grow. I want to take final pictures in 2-3 days. I wish I had @Unexpected ’s trimming skills. I still can’t get the smooth, rounded shapes that he does. I think overall the design is better though? I hope so, lol!
Oh man, I’m sorry! I thought you were well on track to enter.It's just practice. Good luck with your submission. I won't be entering this year.
A few unexpected "events" happened.Oh man, I’m sorry! I thought you were well on track to enter.
Well, I’ve submitted my pictures. I couldn’t get it to accept more than one additional picture, so I just added the numbered plants photo, no angled shot this year. It cut off the sides of that. The sand also looked very pink on the web page, so I adjusted the brightness on the original picture, but it still looks a bit pink. It seems to be a choice between washed out plants or pink sand, so I took the pink sand.
I really like my tank, but I know I’m going to get dinged for that and for some other things.
I tried very hard, and even finished up in spite of a sling on my right arm, so it is what it is I guess!![]()
Tomorrow I will replace all of the Mojave sand with Bora sand, which is supposed to be completely inert. I’m looking forward to not dealing with large gH/kH swings. At least, that’s the plan. I may not get it all done in one day.![]()
I emailed their support about whether it could be updated. I don’t know if I’ll hear back from them. Last year I emailed about a different issue and never had a reply. I’m not that worried about it though. Apparently the judges only see the main photo anyway.Sorry to hear you had troubles with the photos. Mine allowed me to upload 3 additional photos, although now that you mention it, my numbered label photo also looks like it had its side edges cut off. I wonder if the image preview just doesn't show the whole thing.
Maybe you can reach out to the AGA folks and get some help with adding more?