Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

Aussie dry ferts

Joined
Jun 20, 2026
Messages
53
Reaction score
109
Location
Australia
Hi all,

Starting a new 240L tank and looking for a source of dry ferts. This can be difficult in more remote Australia.
So far I think my options would be cop the expensive postage on well known micros from overseas as this would be a smaller package. Then source KNO3 by ringing some hydroponic places as this is more difficult to have shipped.
MgSO4 is easily obtained at garden centres or Bunnings.
Keen to hear opinions for global micros and perhaps any aussies may chime in with more local macro options?

Cheers
Chimera
 
You're right there is not a large selection down here.

I grab all my dry ferts from Green Aquarium
Hey Aquajack,

Does that include KNO3?
Didn’t see it on the stock list. I’ll drop Dave a line today. Do you know if the chelated aquarium mix is the same one in the rotalabutterfly calculator?
I am assuming so.

EDIT: I should have read that properly - You mentioned Green Aquarium. My brain read Aquagreen. I'll have a look at both - thanks.

Cheers
 
Last edited:
Hey Aquajack,

Does that include KNO3?
Didn’t see it on the stock list. I’ll drop Dave a line today. Do you know if the chelated aquarium mix is the same one in the rotalabutterfly calculator?
I am assuming so.

EDIT: I should have read that properly - You mentioned Green Aquarium. My brain read Aquagreen. I'll have a look at both - thanks.

Cheers
Hey Chimera,

The link I gave goes straight to the dry ferts page. Not the cheapest of course, they sell it per 100g lots, always looking out for better bulk deals. Aquagreen I see is based near Darwin but their prices seem much better. I'll have to take a look there too. No idea what "Chelated Micronutrients "Aquarium Mix" contains though, yeh best to find out from the source.

Yep I source my KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4, Rexolin (for micros), CaSO4 & MgSO4 from Green Aquarium, although the last two in future I'll probably get elsewhere from somewhere like Kegland as its a much better deal. Rexolin is also on Rotala.
 
Last edited:
You're spot on Aquajack.
I used to buy plants from Aquagreen when I was still on the mainland and shipping was available. Shipping to Tasmania can be done with declaration, with the exception of some species and of course added costs make it viable only for larger or rare orders.
Dave at Aquagreen pioneered a lot of species including Glosso (plus a tiny leaf variety!) and some lesser known natives. He has good cultivation notes also.
As this is my first tank in this house, I only assume (dangerous) my water will be pretty good. It's rainwater and falls on a new colourbond roof and into the house tanks. Apparently we have the cleanest air in the world down here.
I'll order some test kits tonight and do a bit of background monitoring.

Cheers
C
 
I was buying from aquagreen, but was sent claybreaker as CaS04. It was my first time buying CaS04, so I had no idea that what I had been sent was in fact claybreaker. It didn't dissolve in my tank, and caused me a world of pain, consistent plague of diatoms etc etc

Green aquarium is a hobbyist who buys bulk ferts and sells on for a profit.

I did a lot of searching around...

AUS CHEM SOURCE for KNO3 - based in Western Australia, but you get free delivery, and 5kg of KNO3 for $50 AU

ACE CHEMICAL COMPANY for MgSO4, CaS04, PO4 and K - based in South Australia
(You can buy KNO3 here too, but you have to pay a hefty fee for handling of dangerous goods to the courier company, hence why I buy it from the company above)

Micros from Joe Harvey.
 
I was buying from aquagreen, but was sent claybreaker as CaS04. It was my first time buying CaS04, so I had no idea that what I had been sent was in fact claybreaker. It didn't dissolve in my tank, and caused me a world of pain, consistent plague of diatoms etc etc

Green aquarium is a hobbyist who buys bulk ferts and sells on for a profit.

I did a lot of searching around...

AUS CHEM SOURCE for KNO3 - based in Western Australia, but you get free delivery, and 5kg of KNO3 for $50 AU

ACE CHEMICAL COMPANY for MgSO4, CaS04, PO4 and K - based in South Australia
(You can buy KNO3 here too, but you have to pay a hefty fee for handling of dangerous goods to the courier company, hence why I buy it from the company above)

Micros from Joe Harvey.
Legend! I recon you have very kindly saved me doing the same search!

Thanks mate!
 
Tassie here - I feel your pain on the quarantine rules.
There are bugger all plants available locally (I'd love to be corrected on this so please reach out if you know otherwise)
Fortunately Liverpool Creek Aquariums have just informed me that they are prepared to fill in the required paperwork for me to undertake the biosecurity declaration and clearance. I'm really pleased or I might have been left with the selection of my favourite "plant on log" from the local pet shop :ROFLMAO:

Nothing I have selected form their stock list is a listed weed or banned import.
 

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top