Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

Using Reactor to dissolve air

Akshay 3

Community Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2026
Messages
51
Reaction score
87
Location
India
This is going to be a weird doubt

I don’t keep surface agitation very high in my tank , mainly because it has an overflow & I find the returns pointed downwards keep the substrate much cleaner than the returns pointed upwards

I have 2 returns

One on the front left & other other on the back right , both pointed downwards,

This dosent let any debris settle & pushes everything into the overflow

The overflow is connected to a DIY sump , kept outside the house , which is basically 3 HDPE barrels (120 ltrs /30 gallons each)

The way the sump is designed ., there is hardly any surface movement in the sump too , all the outlets of the barrels are pushed deep down the next barrel & split in such a way that even tho 6500 ltrs per hour (1700gph) is being pumped through the barrels there is absolutely no splashing at all



For oxygenation there is a large Air pump with 4 outlets in the 2nd barrel ( the bio barrel) which is on a timer & switches on after CO2 & remains on till Co2 starts

CO2 is supplied by 2 cerges type reactors , one on each return line , installed after the 3rd barrel)


I was wondering if anyone has ever experimented with injecting air in the said reactor rather than co 2, if Co2 can be dissolved I am sure so can air

All I have to do is drill an extra hole in reactor, connect a tubing to an air pump & start the same on a timer

This way I can keep the tank oxygenated probably much more that what surface agitation would do
 

Attachments

  • IMG (1).webp
    IMG (1).webp
    245.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG (2).webp
    IMG (2).webp
    161.6 KB · Views: 2

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top