Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

Aquashella 2026 - Edison, NJ

Agreed. My first aquarium hobby event was a weekend in Toronto which is roughly a 2 hour drive for me. It was an ADA event and I did the shizuku pot piece there. It was excellent! And I know what I brought home was worth far more than the small cost of the event.

1789044740829.webp



1789044867935.webp
 
Agreed. My first aquarium hobby event was a weekend in Toronto which is roughly a 2 hour drive for me. It was an ADA event and I did the shizuku pot piece there. It was excellent! And I know what I brought home was worth far more than the small cost of the event.

View attachment 20063



View attachment 20068
We did the same plants but different stone I did Jaguar.
 
Ok, first day recap. While the contest aquascapers were busy scaping, @Noahspapa and I were hanging out watching Daichi Araki scape a lovely Nature style aquarium in an ADA 90P, with a South American theme. Typical ADA powersand/Amazonia subtrate with additives, but using the new ADA Madeira sand for the foreground. Hardscape was 'driftwood' with ADA Yamaya stone (available here in the US through Aqua Forest Aquarium in SF).

Ryan Noel, who I met at breakfast in the hotel, doing initial introductions
1000028426.webp

and Daichi Araki about to introduce the history of ADA and Takashi Amano.

1000028427.webp

His aquascape started with the Maderia sand, and the hardscape, before the subtrate was added in the back. Always fun to watch others scape, and how we all do things a little differently. I tend to do my soil before the sand. Hardscape was completed, and moss tied before the lunch break.

1000028435.webp

Had a front row seat before lunch. Was a couple of rows back with a less straight on view for the planting, but this was the tank once planted. Bolbitis, various Echinodorus, a rare Nymphaea species that apparently stays very low with high light, Anubias Nana and Nana Petite, and Microsorum Petite.

20260912_144352.webp

1000028439.webp
After this session, I wandered a bit to look at the scaping contest tanks, and I'll post a few pics next, and was introduced to Nick Kinser, the manager of Capital Exotic Fish that's located in DC, and discovered how small the world is, as he went to High School in Santa Cruz, CA. I lived in Santa Cruz until my move out to Virginia a few years ago. Definitely need to make a trip out to Capital, as it sounds like they are probably my best local hardscape in-person resource.

Had to restrain myself on purchases, as I need to get the Shizuku on the plane tomorrow, but I am still currently working on a game of suitcase Tetris for my mini haul. $8 a Tropica TC cup could not be passed up, with the free shirt and towel thrown in!

20260912_172827.webp
 
Last edited:
It was a zoo after lunch, but I did grab a few pics of some of the contest aquascapes in progress.

I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with our fellow Scape Cruncher, Jeff Miotke, earlier in the day, and this is his tank as some finishing details were being added. I really love this wood structure, but my tanks with driftwood so far all arch down, including a manten stone and manzanita tank I threw in a dark start before I left, so I am quite partial to that style at the moment.

1000028440.webp

Hiep Hong, TX @hiepthehuman

1000028441.webp
Asa Bennett, NC @asascapes
20260912_145719.webp
Shelby Kaye Brown, FL @shelbykayescapes

1000028446 (1).webp

Eduard Kim, PA @kim_eduard_art
1000028448 (1).webp

These were all 'in progress' pics. I will try and walk around early in the morning tomorrow before the crowds show up and catch a few more I couldn't get close too this afternoon. More tomorrow...
 
I have video of the top 3 from the awards with judge's commentary I can edit down when I get home. In the meantime, Hiep Hong is the Grand Champion winner, with what I told him was the best urban culture iwagumi I have seen!
1000028491.webp

Sorry, got a photo of Hiep after, but it washed out the tank

1000028544.webp
 
Shizuku class was fun! Highly recommend it for anyone that is interested at a future Aquashella.

1000028548.webp

Araki-san was even gracious enough to pack mine in its box before I left for the airport. Unfortunately, Jersey TSA insisted I had to lay it on its side for the xray process, and then pulled it out and apart for inspection. The pot is fine though, but it will be in need of a rescape after I get home. I knew I should have taken a photo🤦‍♀️

Something I hope can be done at future Aquashellas, was the impromptu Q&A opportunity that all of the contest aquascapers had this morning with Araki-san. Ryan Noel suggested that @Noahspapa and I should join them, and it was super fun listening to some of the Amano anecdotes.

1000028510.webp

Also gave me the opportunity after that was done to take some better photos of Daichi Araki's tank from yesterday. It was available for auction, so I will be curious to see who went home with it!

1000028540.webp

View from top:
1000028541.webp

Great conference, amazing community, tons of talent under one roof, and I am looking forward to the next one!
 
Despite literally going through a rock tumbler after TSA systematically tipped it on its side, and then dug around and dismantled it, I think I have retrieved enough 'healthy' plants to get this rolling again. One rock was so buried in the soil, I wasn't sure it was even there! But despite getting in at 1 AM, I was up at 5 pulling it apart and putting it back together.

20260914_071510(1).webp
 
As for the aquascaping contest, it was all about the Iwagumi at New Jersey for the top 3.

Third Place - Eduard Kim & Ludmila Kim - Philadelphia, PA @kim_eduard_art

1000028474.webp

2nd Place - Jacob Smiley - Houston, TX - @jacobsmiley.22

20260913_103133.webp

and of course, Grand Champion - Hiep Hong, Houston, TX - @hiepthehuman

20260913_103330.webp


Meanwhile, if you are on instagram, I posted a short clip, including the 3rd, 2nd, and Champion scapers receiving their awards on stage.

 
So glad I attended. Capraquaria has done an excellent job of photographing and documenting the event! A couple treasures to share:
  • first was the “red azalea” wood I bought from the folks at Pet World. I bought two large pieces. I think I was the first customer of the day and asked them to ship it and the owner labeled it and ran it out to his van right away before I took a pic. I included a pic of some similar pieces.
  • second, was the “new” ADA Pro Razor. The new unit has a spring loaded attachment method and comes with a small tool to install the blade. Very nice!
  • third was the TC cups from tropical. If I remember correctly we got 12 cups, plus a nice tshirt and towel for on the order of $100. They were pushing the fact they’ll be selling TC direct soon.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0315.webp
    IMG_0315.webp
    339.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0311.webp
    IMG_0311.webp
    223.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0312.webp
    IMG_0312.webp
    187.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0313.webp
    IMG_0313.webp
    324.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0314.webp
    IMG_0314.webp
    207.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0334.webp
    IMG_0334.webp
    237.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0338.webp
    IMG_0338.webp
    364.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0335.webp
    IMG_0335.webp
    195.3 KB · Views: 16
So glad I attended. Capraquaria has done an excellent job of photographing and documenting the event! A couple treasures to share:
  • first was the “red azalea” wood I bought from the folks at Pet World. I bought two large pieces. I think I was the first customer of the day and asked them to ship it and the owner labeled it and ran it out to his van right away before I took a pic. I included a pic of some similar pieces.
  • second, was the “new” ADA Pro Razor. The new unit has a spring loaded attachment method and comes with a small tool to install the blade. Very nice!
  • third was the TC cups from tropical. If I remember correctly we got 12 cups, plus a nice tshirt and towel for on the order of $100. They were pushing the fact they’ll be selling TC direct soon.
I am so interested to see how you like the new ADA Pro Razor. I love the ADA blades, just not super fond of the screws on my older version.

Hope you made it out of Newark Ok. The delays got pretty bad later in the day. I finally got home several hours late, around 1 AM.

I agree, the folks at Pet World were great. I didn't make it by there until Sunday morning, but they still had some big stuff. Spencer may have been a bit of an enabler, and I might have accidentally procured some heftier pieces of ghostwood. I would love to visit their warehouse in person.

20260913_101627(1).webp
I now have the affliction of hoarding random pieces of hardscape before I have hatched a plan to even have a tank to put it in 🙃 In my defense, finding any hardscape locally is all but impossible, so I seized the opportunity. It could always double as wall art! Looking forward to seeing that Red Azalea wood you purchased in a scape. It's really cool looking!
 
I am so interested to see how you like the new ADA Pro Razor. I love the ADA blades, just not super fond of the screws on my older version.

Hope you made it out of Newark Ok. The delays got pretty bad later in the day. I finally got home several hours late, around 1 AM.

I agree, the folks at Pet World were great. I didn't make it by there until Sunday morning, but they still had some big stuff. Spencer may have been a bit of an enabler, and I might have accidentally procured some heftier pieces of ghostwood. I would love to visit their warehouse in person.

View attachment 20211
I now have the affliction of hoarding random pieces of hardscape before I have hatched a plan to even have a tank to put it in 🙃 In my defense, finding any hardscape locally is all but impossible, so I seized the opportunity. It could always double as wall art! Looking forward to seeing that Red Azalea wood you purchased in a scape. It's really cool looking!
I had mentioned to @Noahspapa before he left for the show that Pet World was what I consider to be my LFS, even though I have several other stores closer to me. They not only have that great selection of hardscape, but also the best freshwater fish selection in the KC area. The owners are great.

Up until just the last week, they never had room in their current store (catering to all pets) to display all their hardscape, but they've made the decision to shift their business focus to fish and reptiles and moved all of that into a warehouse/store location so now we get to see all that hardscape they take to the shows. It's not big enough that I would plan a trip to Lawrence KS just to see it though, unless you're visiting the KC area for other things. I stopped by there last Wednesday to check it out and they're still moving and organizing.
 
Was great to meet you! Wish we had more time to chat.
You too! Hopefully we can chat more at an Aquashella next year. Congratulations on your Best Use of Hardscape award!
 

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top